Tompkins County Public Library

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

9. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Re-reading favorite or special books is very important to me when I think of what books I want to read in the future. While I love exploring new books and authors, as well as keeping up with certain authors and series that I have fallen in love with, some books always call me back. Lolita is a prime example, and a book I read every year, without fail. It is also a book that I find something new with every time I read or listen to it.

When Humbert Humbert meets naïve widow, Charlotte Haze, his sexual obsession with young girls, or nymphets as he calls them, finally is fulfilled. Her daughter, Dolores, or Lolita, quickly becomes his only focus, so much so that he marries Charlotte just to be near Lolita. When Charlotte finds out his true intentions, she tries to expose his secret by mailing letters showing his devious behavior, yet is killed on the way to the mailbox. Humbert is now Lolita’s only relative and their cross country journey after her mother’s death begins their tortured affair.

While the Village Voice called Lolita “three hundred pages of sex in the head”, this brilliant novel is fully of comic observations on American society and beautiful language that allows readers to feel a range of emotions while reading it. Tragic, haunting, original, amusing, horribly sad, and often misunderstood, this is a classic that deserves to be essential reading for those who love literature.

This is what I thought of the book in 2007 when I read it: http://tcpl.org/sarah/2007/11/64-lolita-by-vladimir-nabokov.html

No comments:

Post a Comment